Sunday, September 19, 2010

One Year Ago Today - Part 5

"Dear M...
This morning we went to the Ethiopian National Museum and spent some time driving around the city. It was all very interesting to see and important, but all I could think of was seeing you again.
We finally got to the care center after lunch and we were able to play and spend time with you. It made me so happy to be with you again. We played with you for three hours and it was great. You were so happy, smiling and giggling so much.
There was a point where you ran to my arms from across the room. It made me so happy to have you run to me like that. It made me feel like you were getting more comfortable with me. I pray to God who is merciful that you grow to be a happy boy. I want you to always be happy and confident in yourself."
Love,
Abat

Photobucket

"Dearest Mihretu,
It was very hard to leave you last night. As we spend more time with you, you become more and more comfortable with us and we with you. I just love being with you. It is so fun to watch you play. You love to try and throw things up in the air and you especially love to kick balls around the play room. Everyone keeps telling us how beautiful you are and how much they love your eyes and smile. You are a beautiful boy!
After visiting this museum this morning we spent time driving around the city. There is so much traffic and even more people out walking - walking everywhere they need to go. I love to walk, but I wonder if I would love it as much if it was my only means of transportation. While driving through the city my lungs would start to burn from all of the pollution, caused not only by cars, but by fires burning trash and keeping people warm.
It was hard to see such poverty, especially when it would be children on the streets begging. There were so many and I am just grateful you didn't have to be put in that position. However, it breaks my hear and I pray over and over for God's mercy on each child. Even more so, I long for the day when poverty is banished from these lands.

Later this afternoon we returned to the care center to play some more with you. We spent a good part of the afternoon playing with bubbles, which you and your friends absolutely loved. You would roll a ball back and forth with us, run around and kick the ball (which is impressive considering you just started walking a month ago), put a teddy on top of your head and act like you didn't know where it was.
Photobucket
You are a silly boy and you love to make other people laugh, which is not a difficult task for you to complete. You are making your Abat and I smile all the time. Oh, how we love you so much!"
Photobucket

No comments: