Friday, September 24, 2010

One Year Ago Today - Part 11

Photobucket

"Dearest M....

It is hard to remember much of this day because some much of it was spent on airplanes, in airports, and in complete exhaustion. You did fairly well on the flight from Ethiopia - sleeping most of the way in between your Abat and I.

However, once we landed in Washington D.C. you started to have a harder time. I think that you are getting sick - or maybe you are just grieving - or maybe you are wondering what the heck these two crazy white people are doing with you. The Ethiopian culture deals with children so differently from the American culture. I found myself longing to get back to the Ethiopian culture as soon as we stepped onto the plane for Denver. If only people knew that you have been through so much - have been traveling for the last 20 hours - have had your life completely turned upside down.

Hang in there baby..."

*Our lovely friend Melissa has a wonderful way with words - she blessed us with several of her writings these past few days - and I would like to share them with you here...
Eyes wide
yet fading fast.
One long journey
ending
Another just beginning
A father. A mother.
A son.
Arriving.
A family unfolding.
The walls of 519
wait in anticipation.
The year will bring
learning. growing.
crying. laughing.
pooping.
On the floor
In the tub
Even...in the diaper.
Hearing the language
of Mother Ethiopia
"Nai" -- Come
'I want to show you
my world
"Nai" -- Come
'You are mine
I am yours'
"Nai" -- Come
' I love you
and accept you.'

Check out more of her writing here at: Melissa's post

No comments: