Monday, November 3, 2008

The First Purchase

I traveled back to Rapid City to visit family this weekend. My dear friend Laura came with me while Micah and Joel headed up to the mountains.  We had a great trip and it was so nice to introduce Laura to our families! 
While we were in Rapid, Sharon continued on with her excitement for the baby by making the first purchase! She took us out to Target where she demonstrated how excited one person can really become about the opportunity of a baby entiring the family! I must admit that at times I was overwhelmed with all of the items, the choices..... there is just SO MUCH that a baby can have! I did appreciate her joy and we ended up leaving with a cloth sling and a backpack carrier. One for me and one for Micah.... Did I mention that she was soooooo excited to make these purchases? I tried them on, and I think that they fit okay--it is kind of hard to tell without a baby weighing it down and a sack of potatoes didn't really sit like a baby!
So we now have our first items for the baby. We have been talking a lot about our hopes to keep things simple and not go overboard with the amount of baby "stuff" that can easily be accumulated. We are really trying to determine what it is that is necessary and what is more just a convience. Any feedback? We would love to hear from experienced mothers!

1 comment:

Sara L said...

I tried a few slings and really liked the "Hotsling" - I think they recently started carrying at Target so it may be the one you already bought. I like that style because there are several different ways of using it - I used it till Huck was around 9 months.

We also had the baby Bjorn - not such a fan of that one - after Huck was around 13 lbs, it was so uncomfortable on your back. Charles liked it because it was more "manly" than a sling - but after Huck was a few months old, stopped using it - made his back sore. I have also used the "snugli" carrier - I thought it was worse than the Bijorn.

We are currently using the "Ergo" carrier - it's great for backpacking trips.

I would see if a friend has a baby you can "borrow" and test out your new equipment.

How old do you anticipate your new baby to be when you get them home?

I hope that helped and I am by no means an expert. There is a website called something like "babywearers.com" with tons of experienced mamas that may offer you more advice.